Friday, March 09, 2007

The Times They Are A Changin'

Hello Friends,

Today is my last full day in the states for the next week or so (hopefully). Some of us from the speech and debate team are leaving tomorrow afternoon for the Republic of Argentina (not really sure if it's a republic, makes the writing flow better), where we will be competing in Buenos Aires for the International Forensics (speech/debate) Tournament. Currently, there is a huge anti-American rally going on in downtown Buenos Aires, led by none other than my favorite world leader to harass in extemp, Hugo Chavez. While at the tournament, I'm supposed to give a speech on an historical element of Argentina, so right now that looks like it's going to be the research paper from last semester's Latin American class. When in doubt, use stuff that's already been graded...at least it provides some feedback. I've never been to a serious anti-American rally before...maybe I could pass for being Canadian!

I'm really worried about losing my passport while down there...so much so that it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy. My Spanish is about as good as President Bush's English, which may not help me in tight spots. Should I not make it back for some reason, I'll be sure to let someone know (though I don't really see how that would be possible). The country of Argentina is definitely worth visiting, it's just their track record of government over the past fifty years is a little intimidating, and the collapse of their currency in 2001 certainly doesn't escape one's mind easily. We're traveling to the land of Juan Peron, Domingo Sarmiento, Julia Rosas....I just hope our hotel is close to the U.S. Embassy!

On a lighter note, I don't know if it's the weather or the season, but everybody and their brother (well, sometimes their sister too, if you live in Butler County) is getting married! I think I've touched on this topic before, but I've counted five weddings that I would like to go to within the next few months, and all of constituents involved are close to my age. Sadly, to the chagrin of American Idol hopefuls everywhere, I wasn't invited to sing at any of these ceremonies. It's really the oddest thing....I always sing at funerals, but never at weddings. There's some twisted form of irony in people not wanting to hear you until after they're gone, but alas, we must move forward.

Graduation is in two months....and the world isn't stopping. I don't know for sure what's going to happen after Seminary next year. I just want to do something that makes a difference. Guess that goes for all of us :0)

No comments: